Monday, 24 November 2014

My Geek Box Review : November Best Of British

So the boyfriend and I have been looking at getting a subscription box for a while. After lots of searching we came across My Geek Box which promises to send you lots of geekery in a box for £14.99 per month. What made us gravitate towards this particular box was the fact that it was based in the UK which means you don't have super high postage costs, delays due to international shipping and most importantly be based around franchises that are popular in the UK.

We ordered ours at the end of October so had to wait patiently for November's box to start shipping in the middle of the month.


Each box has a particular theme, November's was "Best Of British" (December's is "Happy Geekmas"). Apart from Doctor Who we had no idea what to expect.

The box arrived by Royal Mail tracked and was much bigger and heavier than we expected.


The first thing out of the box was an issue of 2000 AD (issue #1907 if you are interested). This is a good introduction to the Best Of British theme as 2000 AD has been running since 1977 and from a historical and cultural point of view has bought us many famous characters such as Judge Dredd. It has also given us artists and writers such as Allan Moore and Neil Gaiman. It is interesting to get an issue of the comic as it is not something I personally keep up to date with however I found it very interesting and the boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed.

 

 Next up we have a plushie talking Dalek. Upon reading other people's unboxing's there were a few possible options with this item ( blue Dalek, TARDIS and Cyberman) but I have to say I have a particular fondness for our selection.  Everyone loves a Dalek! The quality is really nice and the speech is nice and clear. 

(Check out Simon Pegg's Mustache on the front of this magazine!)
 

Up next is a nod to Sherlock with a metal  Baker Street sign. I was once again really surpised with the quality of this item, I expected it to be plastic but it was actually metal and for all intents and purposes a real street sign. This would not look out of place in a uber modern London apartment!


Then we pulled out this box of Dennis The Menace and Gnasher sweets. Not much to say about these apart from if you like "Nerds" you will love these. Yum!  
 

Then we go on to the main item in this month's box, five Thunderbirds Shot glasses (they are real glass too!)
 

I love these! They are really retro and fun. They are very decent quality, solid, heavy and dishwasher safe. I can tell these will get lots of use as well as sitting with pride of place in the drinks cabinet. 


Lastly we have the T-shirt (this is a regular monthly item in each box and the design is exclusive to My Geek Box themselves). The Design of this one is a schematic of Starbug 1 from the TV show Red Dwarf.  This is a nice quality cotton T shirt and has been through the wash and tumble dryer without shrinking (the sizes are fairly generous too!) 


This box is a great nod to British geekdom. I love the range of fandoms included!

  All in all a fabulous first box! I am super impressed with the amount of items you get for the price. I can't wait to receive my next one (and many more after that!).

You can sign up to My Geek Box here and there is also a badge on sidebar which acts as a referral link if you would like to use it!  

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Value for money for sure x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this!!! Me and the other half would have been fighting over the t-shirt for sure hahaha! I'm so tempted! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I may have to purchase when I get some money again! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love to hear what you have to say about this post!

I read every single comment! I will do my best to answer any questions you have. If you want to get in touch directly, please email me at: pishposhandpolish@hotmail.co.uk or contact me by twitter or facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You Might Also LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips