Thursday, 17 July 2014

An Indie Interview #2: Pretty Quirky

Even though I myself am no longer an indie polish maker I think it is important to support other UK based Indie Polish brands. It is easy to forget behind the brand is a real person- a person who puts alot of time and effort into producing a high quality products. This little series helps to put a face to the brand and get to know the brands a little better. I know Indie polish can be more expensive that mainstream polish so I think it is important to know why that is and so you know where you money is going, in return hopefully you will be more likely to support the handmade brand in question.

Enjoy! 
post signature



1. Who are you, what is your brand and where can we find you?




I'm Morven from Pretty Quirky. You can find me:

Etsy: www.PrettyQuirkyUK.etsy.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/prettyquirkyuk

IG: instagram.com/prettyquirkyuk

Website: www.prettyquirky.co.uk

2. Why is your brand named what it is?

It took me ages to think of a name. I was almost called Moo Polishes. I chose Pretty Quirky as I think it sums up a lot of indie polishes - pretty and a little unusual.




3. What made you start making polishes?

I got frustrated when I saw more and more of the brands I loved talking about trading in China where it's a requirement that cosmetics are tested on animals, despite years of evidence in Europe saying they're fine to use on people (will avoid the animal testing rant). I love to support small businesses and that's how I discovered indie polish. Then I got to thinking that maybe I could make some myself and the idea grew from there.


4. What inspires your polishes?

It tends to be people. Sometimes its meeting an old friend, sometimes its visiting a new place. I always seen to include a Mighty Boosh reference in each collection too.


5. What was the first polish you made and why?


This never got a name but was literally the first thing I made when I received my first materials. I just started heaping things into a bottle. When I look back at it I cringe a little but I was so proud of it at the time. It suppose it wasn't that bad.


6. What is your favourite polish and is it the same as your most popular polish?


It changes all the time. My favourite right now is I Stole the Bouquet. I like it because it's understated. My most popular is Milky Joe, which I loved the most last week - I can never make up my mind.

 Image from UK NailRunner


Image from Pocket Money Polish

7. What is coming next from your brand? Can you give us a sneak peek?


Things are a little quiet right now while polishes are testing. The current collections are still available and I'm working on things in the background. I'm hoping to release a range of work-friendly glitter crellies later in the year. I'll keep you posted!


8. Do you sell anything other than polish on your shop?


Right now, no, but I've got a few tricks up my sleeve that I'm hoping to share with you all over the next few months.


9. What makes your polish different from all the other indie polishes?


It's difficult to pin it down exactly. We all love our polish creations so much and I know the UK creators take such time and care in developing and testing each and every one of their polishes. I think it's just a passion for the quirky and the unique.


10. Are there any other indie makers that inspire you?

So many (I have a teeny tiny indie polish addiction). I loved Nail Lacquer UK's glitter crellies and also those from Flash Nails. I've always been inspired by Whimsical Nail Polish by Pam. I don't own any yet but want to so bad!


11. Which indie polish by another brand did you wish you had created yourself?

You Autumn Know by KBShimmer - it's gorgeous! Another on the lemming list.


12. Do you take custom orders?


No. This is only due to being super paranoid about testing.


13. Have you got a picture of a polish that never made it to your shop and why it didn't make the final cut?



 Apologies for the old pictures! This was supposed to be Fruit Salad as I had the idea of my first collection being Ye Olde Sweete Shoppe inspired but it turned out I was more interested in the market research than the actual polish!

Thanks for reading xx

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting! I love to hear what you have to say about this post!

I read every single comment! I will do my best to answer any questions you have. If you want to get in touch directly, please email me at: pishposhandpolish@hotmail.co.uk or contact me by twitter or facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You Might Also LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips