Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Money Smart Vintage Chic (or ode to a Cocktail Stick)

One of the things I love about doing my own nails is that you can create really fun looks for fraction of the price they would cost in a salon. I like looking at the latest fashion nail trends and trying to recreate them at home. Not only does this allow my creative side to flourish but as a recent graduate I don't have a lot of money to spend either. Therefore when I saw this competition I knew I had to enter!

One of my favorite purchases was my own nail art brushes and dotting tool, which you can buy for only a couple of pounds. However you really don't even have to do that if you want to be really frugal. For example when I first got into nail art I just used things I had lying around the home, perhaps one of my favourite things to use was cocktail sticks. These tiny wooden miracles help create precision-point fine lines and help me create some great patterns. Today I revisited the humble cocktail stick in this design:


This design uses two coats of Barry M Lychee as a base and then I dabbed some Barry M Bright Pink onto a scrap of paper and then used my cocktail stick to create some polka dots. 

  
My accent nail is soo cute! AND it was so super easy to create!  I dabbed on a large circle splodge (yes that is the technical term) of Bright Pink and then swirled a tiny bit of Barry M Matte White around to create an almost marbelled 'rose' effect. All I did then was add some leaves in Barry M Spring Green.  


Another top tip is if you don't have lots of different nail polishes you can use acrylic paint to create the same effect!


I love this design it is so girly and pretty and ready for summer and looks far more complex than it really is.  Try experimenting with tape, cling film, stickers and anything else you have lying round the house to create  more fun nail art designs. I would love to see what you come up with!


post signature

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous mani and great tips :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw cute xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thrill of doing my own nails instead of going to the salon, would cost me loads if I went to the salon.

    Dotting was the best thing I bought for doing nails. Couldn't be without it.

    Love your nails btw, colours are so cute and has a vintage vibe to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous look! The floral pattern nail reminds me of a Cath Kidston design!

    Fiona @ www.labelledsm.blogspot.ie

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love to hear what you have to say about this post!

I read every single comment! I will do my best to answer any questions you have. If you want to get in touch directly, please email me at: pishposhandpolish@hotmail.co.uk or contact me by twitter or facebook!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You Might Also LIke

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips